The One Legged Reclined Hero Pose
One Legged Reclined Hero Pose, also known as Supta Virasana, is a powerful pose in yoga that helps to open the chest and hips. It can be a challenging pose but is worth the effort to reap its benefits. Here are the instructions on how to do this pose:
1. Begin by sitting in a comfortable, seated position and drawing your legs together with your feet stretched forward. You may want to sit on a folded blanket or towel for extra support under your buttocks.
2. Place one hand on the floor behind you and use it for support as you lean back onto your forearms and lift your legs into an upright position, pointing them toward the sky. The top of your feet should be flat against the floor. Keep both legs straight and together as best as possible with minimal strain on the knee joints.
3. Now slowly inhale while raising one leg toward the sky until it’s in line with the other leg and pointing straight up toward the ceiling. You can use yoga blocks or blankets under your straight leg for extra support if needed. Keep both hips pressing firmly against the ground as you raise your leg into full extension.
4. Hold this pose for several breaths and then release slowly back down to seated before repeating on the opposite side.
5. To exit out of this pose slowly lower one leg at a time coming back into seated or resting Child’s Pose (Balasana).